Author Topic: New computer, need recommendations...  (Read 1427 times)

Rhothgar

New computer, need recommendations...
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »
My old computer died and we're in the process of setting up this new one. One area that we still need to address is an anti-virus/anti-malware/Internet security program(s). On my old computer, I was running the free version of iobit advanced system care along with a free malware detector (I forget which one it was) and McAfee or Norton (which ever one was free through our ISP -- it would change every year or two). It worked ok most of the time but I had to remember to run ASC (and the malware program) since you couldn't set the free versions to automatically scan your computer every so often. I admit I was negligent in that regard.

The new computer came with Malwarebytes preinstalled but it's a trial version and the trial is up in 3 days. It also came with McAfee LiveSafe for 1 year. So, I'm asking for recommendations for an anti-malware program and anything else I might need to keep my new computer safe from all those threats out there in the cyber world. I'm not opposed to replacing McAfee with something better if necessary.

I am fairly good about not falling for phishing attempts and not going to web sites that are iffy, but we all get caught up once in a while.

Thanks,
David

erltprl2

• Administrator
  • Mad Chatter
Re: New computer, need recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
The free version of malwarebytes works well
Interesting!

lotzsah

• Galactic Overlord
Re: New computer, need recommendations...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
We have Kaspersky - wonderful software!! Malwarebytes is good, too.
"Always speak your mind...even if your voice shakes."
 "Well behaved women rarely make history."