Author Topic: More computer issues  (Read 2188 times)

Rhothgar

More computer issues
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »
Hopefully someone can tell me what I must be overlooking in troubleshooting this problem...

Our modem is quite old. We actually had 2 of the same modems, bought at the same time, and used in a similar fashion. One of them died 3 years ago so we weren't all that surprised when this modem started its own death march. It will work fine for a day or two, then not at all for a few hours. We are fully expecting to replace it within about 3 weeks (and hoping it doesn't totally die before then). But...

We were troubleshooting this issue with our ISP a few days ago (before we suspected the modem -- not sure why that didn't occur to us). Our "normal" set up is Cable Modem > Router > Splitter > Computers/Blu-Ray Player. It's all a wired setup except for things like our smart phones and laptop (WiFi) which we don't use very often anyway. Anyway, the ISP had us hook this computer directly into the Modem, which is how we have it now. The modem keeps "daydreaming" (for lack of a better term) where it'll stop connecting to the internet for anywhere from minutes to hours before "waking up" and working again.

Earlier today, we tried resetting up our network as mentioned above, but none of the computers could get online. We tried waiting about an hour and still no Internet Access. We tried resetting the router and the splitter but it didn't help/change anything. So, we tried just running the cable through the router, but still couldn't get online. We unhooked it from the router, hooked it back into the computer directly and it worked. We then tried hooking it through just the splitter but again, no internet access. Back into the computer directly, and voila... We had internet.

Can this all be happening because the modem is about dead? While the modem is about 10 years old, the router is about a year old and the splitter about 6 months old. Is it possible that it was during the modem's "daydreaming" periods when we tried out the splitter and the router? Basically, if we replace the modem should we be able to redo it the way it was with the router and the splitter? Or could the dying modem have "fried" those? Is there any other way to troubleshoot to try to narrow down the problem? Or are people fairly confident that it's the modem and replacing that should put us right?

Thanks,
David

erltprl2

• Administrator
  • Mad Chatter
Re: More computer issues
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
cable modem probably dead or nearly so
Interesting!

Rhothgar

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
Thanks Erl. Hopefully that's the only problem. We went ahead and ordered a new cable modem this evening and it should get here on Wednesday.

David

erltprl2

• Administrator
  • Mad Chatter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
I had similar symptoms when mine 10+ tr old modem was failing.  New one will boost your speed too.  Shouldn't need the router any more if tit is included int he modem
Interesting!

Old and In The Way (aka Lake)

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
I do not understand.

Moist routers have 4 or more  RJ45 Ethernet jacks which are used to connect the computer and the bluray. Is your router wifi only?

>Compiter
Normal setup is modem>Router
                                                  >BluRay

No need for a splitter, and I do not understand what you mean by a splitter. An RJ45 Ethernet switch?  Is this splitter powered?

kimberlygretchen

• Mad Chatter
  • a very stable genius
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »
Probably not a solution here, but it might helpful to read this story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/fashion/pitfalls-of-the-connected-home-part-2.html

k-g
We begin the work week with Monday, then Tuesday, and after that it's WTF! :P