Author Topic: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash  (Read 6653 times)

kimberlygretchen

• Mad Chatter
  • a very stable genius
Re: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »
Used to receive credit card offers for my SIL who had not worked in decades, living on SSI disability, did not have a pot to pee in nor a window to throw it out of her entire life. Still she would receive offers for credit cards.

Just 'cause she got offers in the mail doesn't mean she would be accepted if she applied.
Trauma may happen to you, but it can never define you.   Melinda Longtin

vly3

• Galactic Overlord
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
I would like to see something like a basic income done by a voluntary organization without any involvement from the state.  I envision a decentralized corporation that would accumulate investment capital, and a portion, maybe 10%, of the passive income from the investment capital would fund a basic income.  This would be a completely sustainable, voluntary, non-coercively funded basic income for all people.  The amount would start off low, but as the investment capital accumulated, the amount would gradually increase.

A private organization like this would be able to place conditions on its basic income that a state would not be able to do.  Maybe small support groups could be used where people are taught money management skills.  Participating in a money management support group could be a requirement for receiving the basic income.

Ultimately, such a corporation could replace all welfare provided by the state with something better, and eventually replace the state itself.  Its funding would be entirely voluntary.

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
A basic income provided by the government would also serve the purpose of eliminating most state welfare bureaucracies (those dealing with medical issues would need to remain) -- I believe this was one motivation for Milton Friedman proposing a basic income scheme (the US negative income tax is an imperfect implementation of that -- imperfect because it does NOT eliminate any welfare agencies).

I have read a brief note that a basic income scheme of some sort in under serious consideration in Italy (or some province in Italy), but I have seen no more. Any updates?
Anyone who believes they are a self-made person has a very selective memory --
Frits van Paasschen

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
    • Book_meister Amazon Storefront
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Just another magnet to attract foreigners.  I think if any basic income is ever implemented there should be a cost for the recipient.  Acceptance of the income should be voluntary.  If one volunteers to receive the income, their right to vote should be rescinded. 

David
The police are only up to 40 minutes away when seconds count. Don't be a soft target.

Patriots and globalists are mutually exclusive.

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
Just another magnet to attract foreigners.  I think if any basic income is ever implemented there should be a cost for the recipient.  Acceptance of the income should be voluntary.  If one volunteers to receive the income, their right to vote should be rescinded. 

David
"Foreigners" would not be eligible for basic income. Citizens, and perhaps a limited group of permanent residents, would be.

You, as usual, are trying to limit the rights of citizens to vote, since your belief in the primacy of the Constitution does not include all of the Amendments.
Anyone who believes they are a self-made person has a very selective memory --
Frits van Paasschen

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
    • Book_meister Amazon Storefront
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
With rights, comes responsibilities.  The basic income should be optional. Acceptance should come with a trade off.  Seeing there is no requirement to do anything except put one's hands out. then we cannot ask for anything in return.  It makes sense then to retract something in exchange for the income.  The right to vote is voluntarily given up with the acceptance of the stipend.  Not doing this could lead to recipients voting for whom ever promises the largest increase in their stipend.  It cost the recipients nothing, so why not vote for large increases?

David
The police are only up to 40 minutes away when seconds count. Don't be a soft target.

Patriots and globalists are mutually exclusive.