Author Topic: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash  (Read 6654 times)

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
A very interesting recent TED talk:

http://mailchi.mp/ted/poverty-isnt-a-lack-of-character-its-a-lack-of-cash?e=b927e741e1

"Ideas can and do change the world," says historian Rutger Bregman, sharing his case for a provocative one: guaranteed basic income. Learn more about the idea's 500-year history and a forgotten modern experiment where it actually worked -- and imagine how much energy and talent we would unleash if we got rid of poverty once and for all."
Anyone who believes they are a self-made person has a very selective memory --
Frits van Paasschen

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
    • Book_meister Amazon Storefront
Re: Poverty isn't a lack of character; it's a lack of cash
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
Lack of cash is caused by spending as much or more than you have.  There are always people with more money than you have and people with less money than you have.  The poor remain poor by living beyond their means.  Giving them cash will assure they will always be dependent. 

I could become poor easily all I would need to do is spend or give away my assets.  I could buy some more expensive toys and give money to people so they will like me.  Soon I would be down to my Social Security stipend. Prior to retiring I had to show up for work in order to keep from spending what I had saved.

This guarantied income is nothing more than creating an addiction to dependency,  a candy cage.

David
The police are only up to 40 minutes away when seconds count. Don't be a soft target.

Patriots and globalists are mutually exclusive.

kimberlygretchen

• Mad Chatter
  • a very stable genius
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »
Lack of cash is caused by spending as much or more than you have.  There are always people with more money than you have and people with less money than you have.  The poor remain poor by living beyond their means.  Giving them cash will assure they will always be dependent. 

I could become poor easily all I would need to do is spend or give away my assets.  I could buy some more expensive toys and give money to people so they will like me.  Soon I would be down to my Social Security stipend. Prior to retiring I had to show up for work in order to keep from spending what I had saved.

This guarantied income is nothing more than creating an addiction to dependency,  a candy cage.

David

Ben Careson would agree with you: http://www.npr.org/2017/05/25/530068988/ben-carson-says-poverty-is-a-state-of-mind :-[

k-g
Trauma may happen to you, but it can never define you.   Melinda Longtin

hoodatsaydat

• The Sage SeaBee
  • Mad Chatter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
Strict Calvenists consider prosperity a sign of Gods favor but they also consider that you are bound for heaven or hell before you are born and nothing you do will change that.
ETERNAL VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE OF LIBERTY

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:28:36 AM »
Thinking about this further, why are some areas more prone to poverty.  In many cases the leadership restricts the choices their people are allowed to have.  By doing this it makes staying out of poverty more difficult.  Sometimes the strictures are to force dependence on the leadership.  When most are hemmed in there are less differences in outcome.  This is viewed as socially just.

David
The police are only up to 40 minutes away when seconds count. Don't be a soft target.

Old and In The Way (aka Lake)

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:11:55 PM »
The guaranteed income will spur demand. Increased demand in the absence of increased supply will lead to inflation

Inflation has much more negative effects on poor people than rich people.

Not clear that this will help anyone without huge cost of living adjustments and more government bureaucrats to administer the program. Increase in government will as it always does inhibit productivity.

Like all simplistic solutions, no one can predict all of the unintended consequences.

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
The guaranteed income will spur demand. Increased demand in the absence of increased supply will lead to inflation.

Or, increased demand will spur there development of increased supply, and the increase in economic activity will benefit everyone
(though it will benefit rich people more than poor people).

Witness the increased supply of both oil and sustainable sources of energy as (1) overall demand has increased, and
(2) coal has become uneconomic oner the costs of the atmospheric pollution it produces have been recognized.
Rather than inflation, the increased energy supply has led to deflation in that sector.
Frits van Paasschen

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
The guaranteed income will spur demand. Increased demand in the absence of increased supply will lead to inflation.

Or, increased demand will spur there development of increased supply, and the increase in economic activity will benefit everyone
(though it will benefit rich people more than poor people).

Witness the increased supply of both oil and sustainable sources of energy as (1) overall demand has increased, and
(2) coal has become uneconomic oner the costs of the atmospheric pollution it produces have been recognized.
Rather than inflation, the increased energy supply has led to deflation in that sector.

Spoken like a true Keynesian

David

Lisowczyk

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »
Poverty is a state of mind.

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »
Poverty is a state of mind.
For you, perhaps, but more real for people who have to choose between buying food and paying the rent.
Frits van Paasschen

vly3

• Galactic Overlord
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
I have a question: if you give somebody a guaranteed income, how do you prevent them from borrowing against it?

People with poor money management skills spend now and worry about the consequences later.  If they have the ability to borrow, they borrow and spend now, and worry about the results only when the credit card bills come due.  So how do you keep them from borrowing and spending until their monthly minimum payment on their credit card becomes equal to their basic income?

Book_meister

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 11:38:51 AM »
The bankers are willing to lend to anyone.  Used to receive credit card offers for my SIL who had not worked in decades, living on SSI disability, did not have a pot to pee in nor a window to throw it out of her entire life. Still she would receive offers for credit cards.

Guaranteed income is just another progressive candy cage.

David

vly3

• Galactic Overlord
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Basic income might just be another indirect handout to the banks.  It might just go toward paying the interest on high interest rate credit cards.

Boston Mike

• Mad Chatter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
I suppose we could bring back usury laws.

Might be a good idea anyway.
Frits van Paasschen